POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : pov crash->debug? : Re: pov crash->debug? [UPDATE] Server Time
28 Jun 2024 22:19:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pov crash->debug? [UPDATE]
From: ABX
Date: 18 Jun 2004 13:43:19
Message: <gk96d09247au438uo9esrfns1hi11datll@4ax.com>
On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 12:58:46 -0400, "Ross" <rli### [at] everestkcnet> wrote:
> alright. i downloaded wings3d at work to test it out this mesh2 bug thing to
> see if it happens on Win2k professional. it is reproduceable. i made a
> sphere and subdivided it a few times to get 7680 polygons. the resulting
> exported scene was just under 1MB

From what you are describing it suggests me such scene is possible with
HF_macros. And indeed I can cause strange behaviour there

#version 3.5;

#include "shapes.inc"

camera {
  location  <0.0, 0.5, -4.0>
  direction 1.5*z
  right     x*4/3
  look_at   0
}

light_source { <-30, 30, -30> , 1 }

plane { y, -1 pigment { rgb 1 } }

object{
  HF_Sphere(function{0}, yes, yes, 100, yes, "eksport.inc", 0, 1, 0)
  #include "eksport.inc"
  pigment { red 1 }
}

Above scene creates file "eksport.inc" with size over 1 MB. It renders fine.
Now if I modify macro HFCreate_ in shapes.inc from text:
  #write(_HFMACRO_OUTPUT_FILE,"face_indices {"
  #write(_HFMACRO_OUTPUT_FILE,"face_indices {k"
to force parse error POV-Ray behaved strange. In one run it crashed. In other
run it hanged in rendering mode with neither parse error nor crash nor
rendering.

HTH, Chris

ABX